Sunday, July 26, 2009

More Home Improvement Follies

First up I decided it was time to fix the light in the basement stairs. A few months ago the switch went bad and I had to replace it. Everything seemed to go well, but a few weeks later the light went out again. I assumed there was a loose wire or a problem with the new switch. I couldn't face the switch again, so I did what I do best - I procrastinated. For a long time.

Today I was ready to take a look at the switch and see what was going on. Before I went to turn off the circuit breaker, I thought I better try something. Amazingly enough, changing the light bulbs solved the problem. Duh!

After my successful (and embarrassing) resolution of the light bulb problem, I tackled the dishwasher problem that appeared yesterday. We have the kind of dishwasher you to have to push across the kitchen and hook up to the kitchen sink. Yesterday the coupler started spraying water everywhere.

A quick inspection revealed the problem: a torn gasket. We have a Kenmore, so my first stop was the Sears Appliance Parts Store at the Rice Street Sears in St. Paul. If you've never been to the Rice Street Sears, you should go. The place is like a time machine and when you stand in the parking lot it seems like 1962. It's a marvel the place is still open.

Anyway, they could only sell me the entire coupler. Boo. So, then I began driving all over town looking for this gasket. Of course I couldn't find one. (I did find a excellent Chicago-style hot dog, though.) I was able to find the gasket online and shipping is only three times the cost of the gasket. Boo.

It looks like the dishwasher will be out of action for a few days. Does anyone have any advice for teaching a 7-year-old and a 4-year-old how to wash dishes? Also, is it fair to withhold the cost of any broken dishes from their allowance?
___
Follow me on Twitter

5 comments:

Sarita said...

You probably already went there, but I've had a lot of luck with Dey Appliance Parts on Snelling, just north of University. They carry parts for everything.

Glad to see my light fixing method worked for you too :)

Chris said...

Dey Appliance Parts did have the part and I was able to fix the dishwasher this morning. If only I had known about that place yesterday. From now on I'm calling you when I don't know where to find something.

Thanks.

PizzaMaster said...

Well done! Does this mean that there is a change in your procrastination momentum?

Glad to see you posting regularly too!

DD4 said...

Good for you, Chris. You should feel proud.

Reen said...

I never had much luck teaching YOU how to wash dishes....but then, I'm not much of a teacher. I rival you in procrastination, but the 5 min fix for the 11 year light fixture even has me beat....